Monday, November 26, 2007

Cowl neck fringed capelet

I had this cashmere purple yarn since months, and didn't know what to do with it!
Finally yesterday i had a flash of inspiration, and started making this Cowl neck capelet after drawing down a sketch of what i was imagining.
And voila'! I think it's beautiful, and i'm not sure i want to sell it on my Etsy shop..i think i'll keep it for myself.
It was easy to make, starting from cowl down, so i decided to write the pattern.
Here it is.

Terms:
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
sl st = slip stitch
sk = skip

Gauge:
two *3dc,ch2*= 11.5cm * 4 rows=10cm

Materials:
8.00 mm hook
Ornaghi Filati Italy "Cashmere" [60% Merino Wool Superfine, 30% Polyamid, 10% Cashmere; 41 yds/37 mt per 50g ball]; color: Purple; 4 balls.

Cowl neck capelet:
Ch 40, sl st to form ring, careful not to twist the ch.
Round 1: ch3, dc in next 2 ch, ch1, sk 2ch, * 3dc in next 3ch, ch1, sk 2ch*. Repeat from* across ending round with ch1 and sl st in third ch og beg. ch3.
Round 2: ch4 (counts as 1dc and ch1), *3dc in next ch1 space, ch1*, repeat from* across to last ch1 space, 2dc and sl st in third ch of beg. ch3.
Round 3: ch3, 2dc in ch1 space, ch1, *3dc in next ch1 space, ch1*. Repeat from * across, ending with ch1 and sl st in third ch of beg. ch3.
Round 4: repeat round 2.
Round 5: repeat round 3.
Round 6: repeat round 2.
Round 7: repeat round 3, but make 2ch between each 3dc group instead of 1ch.
Round 8: ch5 (counts as 1dc and ch2), *3dc in next space, ch2, (3dc, ch1, 3dc) all in next space, ch2*.Repeat from* across ending with (3dc, ch1, 2dc) all in last space,sl st in third ch of beg. ch5.
Round 9: ch3, 2dc in next space, ch2, *3dc in next space, ch2*. Repeat from * across, ending with ch2 and sl st in third ch of beg. ch3.
Round 10: ch5 (counts as 1dc and ch2), *3dc in next space, ch2*, repeat from* across to last space, 2dc and sl st in third ch of beg. ch5.
Round 11: ch3, 2dc in next ch space, ch2, (3dc, ch1, 3dc) all in next space, ch2 *3dc in next space, ch2, (3dc, ch1, 3dc) all in next space, ch2*.Repeat from* across ending with a sl st in third ch of beg. ch3.
Round 12: repeat round 10.
Round 13: repeat round 9.
Round 14: repeat round 10.
Round 15: repeat round 9.
Weave in all ends.

Fringe:
To make fringe, wrap yarn around a 15cm piece of cardboard three times. Cut ends at one side. Holding the 3 strands from the middle, slip knot the fringe around each ch 2 space.
Enjoy your wonderful capelet!

If someone will try it and have problems, just contact me for any question!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is gorgeous!! Did you use bulky yarn? And also, I'm a size 16..is there an increase row I could repeat to make this capelet bigger? Thanks for your help!!

creativeyarn said...

Hi and thank you, i love it too!
Yes, i've used a bulky yarn as you can see on the picture,if you're on ravelry you can see other pics of the yarn's detail.
Well,you could try to start with a number of chains bigger and then continue in pattern, repeating increase rounds (8 and 11) twice instead of once.It's been short time that i've started writing patterns so i'm not sure, but try this and let me know if it's ok!
Thank you again!

Anonymous said...

I absolutley love this capelet and am going to attempt to make it this weekend, your patterns and designs are beautiful and thanks for sharing them!

I have a 8mm hook at home (UK size)?

will regular aran weight yarn be o.k or do I need to by a chunky weight yarn

creativeyarn said...

Hi and thanks for your comment, I hope I'll see soon your capelet!
Well,of course you can make this with an aran weight yarn, but I suggest you to begin with more chains(like 60 or more,try to close the round and wear it from the head and look if it fits!)..
Anyway I've used a very chunky yarn with an 8.00mm hook.
Hope you'll enjoy, and please ask if you have problems or need help!
Thanks again,
Marta

MommaC said...

Hi! I'm planning on starting this tomorrow but, I had a question. In the first row it says "* 3dc in next 3ch, ch1, sk 2ch*. " is that 3dc in each of the next 3 ch or just 1dc in each chain? Thank you so much for sharing this pattern with us!

creativeyarn said...

Hi MommaC!
It's 1dc in each of the next 3 chains!
ciao
m.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, this is great. I'd really like to make this for my 5 year old daughter, but have no idea on how I would modify the pattern. Do you have any tips? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I just made this capelet and it's awesome--thanks for sharing--As I'm looking at it I thought it could also be a little girls skirt--they could wear leggings under it--

Sewright Deborah said...

This is Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Faith said...

Question: At the end of row one it says ch3 and beg of row 2 it says ch4, how do you that? Would that end up being ch7? Are these chains supposed to be in different stitches?

I have the same problem understanding the ends and beginnings of other rows as well......

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Awesome pattern! I am so enjoying crocheting this up, goes so fast!

I am using Araucania Nature Wool Chunky - which actually seems to be more worsted than aran, so I added 10 ch at the beginning.

I do have a question, when you are on Round 7, do you ch2 from the very start and at the end? The row starts with
"2dc in ch1 space, ch1"
and ends with
"ending with ch1 and sl st in third ch of beg. ch3"

Do I chain 2 in both places where I did a ch1 initially?

Thank for the pattern again! You are one of the most talented crocheters out there and your patterns are so wonderful, keep up the good work! =)

Anonymous said...

This is the last poster ^-^

I meant to ask one more question. I tried my capelet on, and it is way to big around the neck. But at 40 chains it would not fit over my head :p

What are the multiple of chains I would need to start, can I start with 45 or so?

Thank you again! =)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all your great work. I'm new to crochet and this is very inspiring. I plan to make some holiday presents.

Knittingnana said...

I just finished making this and I really love it. Thanks for sharing you lovely pattern with me. I'm a size 14/16 and this is a perfect fit

Steph and Mike and Two Kids Too said...

Thank you for the pattern! I just made this for my 5yr old, and figured I would post the adjustments just in case someone else might find them useful. I am located in the US, just so one can understand the regional differences in hook/yarn.

I used a 6.5 MM hook.
For yarn, I used two strands held together of Caron Simply Soft. I used the purple and hot pink colors - my daughter is a big Dora fan.
On the cowl, before starting the increases, I skipped one row so the cowl would be a bit shorter. After trying it on her, I think maybe skipping two might have been better, but that will depend on your child and neck length.
I shortened the fringe a bit. Again, this will depend on your child, and I think the best bet would be to try it on your child after it's finished and see how long the fringe should be.


Good luck!

Anonymous said...

It's official...I am a huge fan of your work! You have an amazing talent and make such beautiful pieces. I'm here to say "THANK YOU" for sharing your work.

Christina

Kristen said...

Hi Marta!
I love this caplet! I am in the middle of making it, & it's coming together nicely. I hope to have pics up soon on Ravelry! I love all your designs & hope to see more from you!! Thank you for sharing!

Kristen :D